For a full description of requirements, please consult the General Announcements.
Ph.D. students enrolled in the CSWGS Graduate Certificate Program must complete:
- SWGS 501 "Feminist Debates" - taken while other graduate course work requirements are being fulfilled.
- SWGS 502 "Gender, the Disciplines, & Interdisciplinarity" - taken after completion of SWGS 501.
- An elective course - students may chose from graduate-level cross-listed SWGS courses or arrange a directed reading (SWGS 503); non-cross-listed graduate courses may be proposed to the CSWGS Director for approval.
- Participation in the Colloquium, an annual series of seminars and public lectures with leading scholars invited to Rice.
- A 500-word description of the connection between the dissertation and the study of women, gender, and/or sexuality (approval by CSWGS Director required for receipt of $5,000 stipend).
What the Certificate Program Offers
- Sustained interdisciplinary engagement with women, gender, and sexuality scholarship as students develop dissertation plans
- Rapid and sustained acquaintance with faculty, students, and resources across campus
- Through the annual Colloquium, personal contact with leading scholars in women, gender, and sexuality studies
- Strengthened intellectual community for students writing dissertations related to women, gender, and/or sexuality
- $5,000 stipend in the semester students achieve PhD candidacy (upon approval of 500-word description by CSWGS director)
- Competitive travel support for conferences and dissertation research
- Competitive teaching assistantships
- Competitive teaching fellowships for students who have achieved candidacy
- Competitive dissertation completion fellowships